Akhkha Masoor is a popular dish from western Maharashtra. It is healthy as well as tasty. This is a Quick & Easy method of Red Lentils Curry.
During travels to kolhapur, I came across this popular dish made with Red Lentils. We had Akkha masoor served with Naan, Butter roti and Rice which was mind blowing!!!
I have made this recipe slightly spicy and hot using some dry spices. If you don’t have dry spices at your place you can use Garam Masala or Kolhapuri Masala. However, if you want you can either decrease or increase the spiciness by adding less or more of the spice powders.
Let’s try to make this delicious and healthy Akhha Masoor / Red Lentils Curry at your home and share your experience with us in the comments section below.
Rest Time: 6 hours
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Type: Curry / Gravy
Serve: 6 Person
- 2 cups Red Lentils / Masoor, (soaked overnight and boiled)
- 2 Onions(sliced)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 4-5 Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds / Black Cumin
- 4-5 Cloves
- 5-6 Fenugreek seeds
- Rock Flower
- Star Anise
- Black Cardamom
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- Mace / Jaypatri
- Bay Leaf
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 5-6 pods of Garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Red Chili powder
- 2 Tomato (puree)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 tsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 tsp Butter
- Coriander leaves (chopped)
Method of Preparation:
- Rinse 2 cup whole Masoor very well in water a couple of times.
- Then soak it overnight or 6 hours.
- To begin making the Kolhapuri Akkha Masoor Recipe, lets take a small pan and add oil and fry the sliced onions until golden brown.
- Next in the same pan roast the Coriander seeds, Black Pepper, Caraway Seeds, Cloves, Fenugreek seeds, Rock Flower, Star Anise, Black Cardamom, Cinnamon stick, Mace / Jaypatri, Bay Leaf, Ginger and Garlic until the aroma of the masala can be smelt.
- Then grind together the fried onion and the roasted garam masala to a fine paste with very little water.
- Now pressure cooks the Soaked Masoor with water and salt for at least 3 whistles. Allow the pressure to release naturally or simply you can cook it in pan.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan and add Asafoetida, Mustard seeds and Cumin Seeds.
- Then add finely chopped Onions and sauté till the onions turn pink.
- Add Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and saute it.
- Next add Tomato puree and sauté till the oil oozes out.
- Add the boiled Masoor, the ground masala, Water around 1 cup, salt to taste, Green chilli, dry Fenugreek Leaves, Butter and Coriander Leaves.
- Mix everything up well; Cover with lid and bring to a boil.
- Akhha Masoor Recipe is ready to serve!
- This recipe serves 5-6 people and the combination of Rice, Naan, Butter roti and Akhha masoor is mind blowing!!!
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.