Sweet Dessert Dumplings which is similar to that of Maharashtrian Modak. It is made with steamed rice flour and a sweet coconut stuffing laced with nutmeg, cardamom and saffron. I am excited to share my detailed recipe with all the tips and tricks to help you make Dumplings like a pro!
It is a delicious traditional sweet made during special occasions. It is a very healthy dish & loved by many. The outer soft shell is made of rice & the stuffing is made of Coconut & Jaggery etc.
Easy Preparation and recipe that gives you perfectly did super soft Dumplings, without any cracks.
Please do try this recipe, it is a true art to make this dish & you will enjoy making it & you will have an amazing experience eating it, sharing with family & friends.
How to make Dumplings (Kerala kozhukkatta)
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Make Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Type: Dessert / Snacks
Serve: 7-8 Dumplings
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter
- 1 cup Fresh Coconut (grated)
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Clarified Butter
- 1 cup Rice Flour
Method of Preparation:
How to make Stuffing:
- Heat a pan and 2 tbsp Clarified Butter.
- Add 1 cup grated Fresh Coconut. Saute it for a minute.
- Add 1/2 cup Jaggery. Stir well on low flame till Jaggery melts completely.
- Once Jaggery melts add 1/4 tsp Nutmeg Powder and 1/ 4 tsp Cardamom Powder.
- Mix well and switch off the flame. Let the mixture cool.
- Stuffing is ready to use.
How to make Covering:
- In pan heat 1/2 cup Milk and 1/2 cup Water.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp Clarified Butter.
- Mix well and let it boil.
- Now add 1 cup Rice Flour. Stir quickly and mix everything up well.
- Cover and cook it for 2 mins on low flame.
- Switch off the flame and again cover it for another 2 minutes.
How to make Dumplings:
- Transfer the flour mixture into large mixing bowl or plate and knead the dough.
- Sprinkle some water if required and apply some clarified butter to make soft & smooth dough.
- Take out small portion of the dough and press it with your fingers.
- Create dent to form cup (apply oil to your palms so that the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands).
- Add 1 tbsp Coconut stuffing in it.
- Gently bring the outer cover together and close the opening.
- Roll it smooth ball with wet palms.
- Make all the Dumplings like so and keep them aside.
- Dumplings are ready to steam.
How to steam the Dumplings:
- Heat steamer with Water.
- Place dumplings in steamer. Let the Dumplings steam for 10-15 mins and they are ready.
- Our Dumplings are ready to serve. Enjoy!
These Sweet Rice Dumplings, can last long for 3-5 days easily if stored in refrigerator and microwave it for 20-30 seconds before serving it.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.