10 mins read:
Tondali Bhat / Ivy Gourd Rice are an excellent tasty dish from Maharashtra. Delicious variety rice with sliced Ivy Gourds/ Tondali Bhat makes a perfect lunch box dish too.
It is a traditional Maharashtrian no onion no garlic one pot meal. This Maharashtrian Tondali Bhat is typically made during gatherings or special occasions.Generally served with a dollop of Clarified Butter and accompanied Buttermilk.
Maharashtrian Tondali Bhat comes in very quickly and can be done under 30 minutes. It does not use any onion and garlic, just a few masala’s and you are done. One can use Goda Masala but the taste of this Masala Bhat with freshly grinded masala is completely different.
Try it soon!
Preparation Time: 10-15 mins
Cook Time: 10-15 mins
Serve: 4 People
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 100 Gms Ivy Gourds/ Tondali (washed)
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2-3 Green chillies
- Coriander Leaves
- 4 tbsp Clarified Butter
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 cup Cashew Nuts
- 2 tsp Goda Masala
- Salt to Taste
- 2 & 1/2 cups Hot Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp fresh Grated Coconut
Method of Preparation:
- Take Basmati Rice in bowl and wash with Water.
- Drain complete Water and allow resting for 10-15 minutes.
- Now cut Ivy Gourd/Tondali into strips. Transfer them in a bowl of water.
- Grind together; Ginger, Green Chillies and Coriander Leaves to coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp Clarified Butter in a pan.
- Add Asafoetida, Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Cinnamon Stick, Cloves and Black Pepper. Saute for few seconds.
- Add grinded paste and Turmeric Powder. Mix well.
- Now add Ivy Gourds/Tondali. Saute well and further cook it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add Cashew Nuts and mix well.
- Add rice and sauté for a minute.
- Add Goda Masala and Salt. Mix and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Hot Water and cook till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Cover and cook it for 10-15 minutes on low flame and then switch off the flame.
- Finally add 2 tsp Clarified Butter, Lemon juice; mix well and add Fresh Coconut and Coriander leaves.
- Our Ivy Gourd Rice/ Tondali Bhat are ready!
- Transfer into a serving plate and serve hot.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share