Narali Bhat is a typical Maharashtrian Recipe. Narali Bhat is especially being made on the occasion of Narali Pournima. It is held on the full-moon day of the Hindu month of Shravan which falls around July or August.
The Shravan Pournima symbolizes the end of the monsoon season and the beginning of the fishing season. Hence, the fisherman community in Maharashtra, worshiped the ocean with rice, flowers and coconuts as offerings.
Aromatic Basmati rice is used to make this delicious Narali Bhat. Rice, Coconut and Jaggery combined together makes this delicious dish. The flavor of the coconut was out of the world.
Raksha Bandhan falls on the same day and hence it is a double delight day to prepare this delicious Narali Bhat.
Here is the recipe. Do try this recipe and share your experience in the comment box.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Soak Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Type: Rice / Desserts
Serve: 6 People
- 1 bowl Basmati Rice
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 small cup Clarified Butter
- Cashew Nuts- Almonds as per choice
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Saffron Milk
- Pinch of Salt
Method of Preparation:
- Wash the Basmati Rice and drain all the water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp Clarified Butter in deep pan.
- Add Cloves, Cardamoms and Cinnamon Stick and saute it for few seconds.
- Add washed rice and saute for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Add hot water approximately double the quantity of the rice.
- Add pinch of Salt in it and mix well
- Cover and cook the rice on medium flame for 10-15 minutes. We want the rice to be almost cooked and not mushy.
- Once rice is cooked, turn off the flame and let the rice sit for few minutes covered.
- Put it into a plate and spread evenly to cool down. Keep it aside until ready to use.
- Heat the Clarified Butter in heavy bottom pan and add Cashew Nuts-Almonds.
- Fry Cashew Nuts-Almonds till golden brown and remove it in plate.
- Now add grated Coconut and Jaggery in the same pan.
- Saute it for few seconds on low flame. And then add cooked Rice in it
- Add Cardamom Powder and Clarified Butter in it. Saute it.
- Cook at least for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add Saffron Milk and gently mix the rice taking care not to break them.
- Add fried Cashew Nuts-Almonds and again mix gently.
- Cover the pan and simmer it for about 10 minutes stirring once in a while in between.
- Once the Rice and Jaggery mixed well turn off the flame and serve!
- Narali Bhat is ready to serve.
- Add lots of Clarified Butter while serving.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share