Puranache Dind is an authentic Maharashtrian sweet delicacy specially made for festival-Nag Panchami, the first festival of the month of Shravan as per Hindu Calendar. Nag Panchmi is celebrated on 5th day of Shravan.
To make Puranache dind , first a sweet lentil stuffing called Puran is made. Boiled Split Chickpeas are strained and cooked with Jaggery to make Puran. Puran is flavored with fennel seeds, cardamom , nutmeg powder. For the outer covering a dough is made using wheat flour. Small discs are rolled out from the dough, Puran is stuffed in it and a parcel shape is given while sealing the dind. The parcels are then steamed using a steamer for 15 minutes.
These aromatic and flavorful melt in mouth treats are very healthy and taste best when served piping hot topped with generous amount of homemade Clarified Butter.
Here the traditional & lost recipe of Puranche Dind.
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Type: Flat Breads / Dessert
Serve: 14-15 Parcels
- 1 cup Split Chickpeas
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1 tsp Fennel Seed Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Clarified Butter (As required)
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation:
- In large mixing bowl add wheat flour, salt and oil.
- Mix it well.
- Add water as required and make stiff non sticky dough.
- Knead the dough well to a soft consistency and pliable.
- Wrap it in moist cloth or cover it in a container and set aside for minimum 30 minutes.
- You can also grease the dough with few drops of Oil and cover.
How to make Puran:
- In Vessel, keep 3 cups of water for boiling.
- Add few drops of Oil and let the water boil.
- Once Water starts boiling, add washed Split Chickpeas.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes or cook until tender and soft.
- After 20 minutes check the status of dal and then turn off the flame.
- Once dal is cooked, put it in big strainer to remove extra water from it.
- Now heat the pan, add Clarified Butter in it.
- Add cooked Split Chickpeas.
- Add Cardamom Powder, Fennel Seeds Powder, Nutmeg Powder and Jaggery.
- Mix well and cook everything until Jaggery melts.
- Saute well for another 2 minutes on low flame and then turn off the flame.
- Add salt and mix it well.
- Remove from the flame and mash it to make paste (or you can grind it in mixer)
- For Dind we need roughly mashed Puran. Puran is all ready.
- After 30 minutes, take small portion of Dough and starts rolling in small & thin round shape (Puri).
- You can decide the size and thickness of the puri.
- Stuff the Puran at the centre of puri.
- Fold two opposite sides of puri over Puran and again fold another two sides (You can add Clarified Butter in it if you want).
- Make all Dind likewise.
- Heat up water in a steamer and let it boil.
- Line up the steamer plate and apply some Clarified butter on it. ( or you can use banana leaf or cotton cloth).
- Keep all Dind on it.
- Cover and steam on medium flame for about 15 minutes.
- After steaming let them be in the steamer for another 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and take the Dind out into a plate.
- Puranache dind are all ready.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share