Maharashtrian Puran Poli is a sweet flatbread savoured on almost all the occasions in India. Served piping hot with lots of Clarified Butter, it is flavourful. In Maharashtra it can be prepared during festivals like Gudi Padwa, Guru Pournima, Ganesh Festival, Diwali, Holi. It is also quite popular in Gujarat also.
In Maharashtra, it is prepared by using Split Chickpeas and in Gujarat Pigeon Peas.
As the festive months are approaching I am very excited to share my Mother’s recipe with you all. I learnt this recipe from my mother and tried and loved the results.
Preparation Time: 1 Hour
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Type: Flat Breads / Dessert
Serve: 8 People
- 1 Cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- Water as required
- 1 cup Split Chickpeas ( Chana Dal)
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1 tsp Clarified Butter
Method of Preparation:
- In large mixing bowl add wheat flour, salt and oil.
- Mix it well.
- Add water as required and make stiff non sticky dough.
- Knead the dough well to a soft consistency and pliable. (You can use half all-purpose flour and half wheat flour to make the dough).
- Wrap it in moist cloth or cover it in a container and set aside for minimum 1 hour.
- You can also grease the dough with few drops of Oil and cover.
How to make Puran:
- Wash the Chana dal in water (you can soak Chana dal in enough water for 30 minutes.)
- Drain the water and add the dal in the pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water and 1/2 tsp Salt.
- Cook it on medium flame for 5-6 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and let the pressure release.
- Open the lid of the cooker. The dal should be cooked but intact.
- Remove extra the water with the help of Sieve and reserve it to make Katachi Amti ( Curry).
- Now pass cooked Chana Dal through sieve in hot state to make smooth paste (Or you can grind Chana Dal with the help of Grinder).
- Let’s heat the Pan.
- Add 1 tsp Clarified Butter and then add grinded Spilt Chickpeas (Chana Dal).
- Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add Sugar and Jaggery. Mix well.
- Cook it well for minimum 20-25 minutes on medium flame.
- Add Cardamom Powder and Nutmeg Powder. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame and let the Puran cool down completely.
How to make Puran Poli:
- Take small portion of prepared dough.
- Dust and roll it into small disc shape.
- Keep (Puran) a filling ball in the centre of the small disc shape and bring the ends together.
- Dust and roll again gently to make a Puran Poli (6 inch circle).
- Heat a griddle and transfer the Puran Poli on the griddle. Cook it from both the sides until brown spots appear.
- Apply Clarified Butter on both sides and press the Poli using the back of a ladle and roast until golden brown from both sides. Make all the Poli in the same manner.
- You can store Puran for up to a week in Refrigerator.
- You can also store Puran Poli for up to a week in refrigerator.
- Keep the poli in an airtight box.
- Just heat on a griddle and apply some more ghee before serving.
Watch the full recipe of Puran Poli
- Puran Poli goes with lots of Clarified Butter.
- Puran Poli can be served along with Katachi Amti.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.