Hello my readers,
Hope all are doing well..!!!
As the month of Savan / Shravan is approaching in India many people practice fasting these days.
During these days fasting food is prepared and there are very limited options like sabudada (sago) khichdi, sabudana wada, varai bhat, fried potatoes, chips, etc.
Today I am going to share with you all a different and rare option to add in the fasting menu “Sweet Potatoes Gulab Jamun” recipe.
Sweet Potatoes satiate the hunger and also provide energy for long time.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Soaking Time: 30 mins
Serve: 10-12 Jamuns (depends on size)
Type: Desserts / Fasting Recipes
- 1 Cup mashed Sweet Potatoes (peeled)
- 1/2 Cup Milk powder
- 3 tbsp Rajgira Flour ( Amaranth Flour)
- Milk (If required only)
- 1 tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
- Oil for deep fry
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Desiccated Coconut for garnishing
Method of Preparation:
How to make Sugar Syrup:
- In a large vessel, take 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water.
- Stir well till the sugar dissolves completely and boil it on low flame, till the sugar syrup turns sticky.
- Add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder. Stir well and switch off the flame.
- The sugar syrup is ready. Keep aside and cover it with lid.
How to make Sweet Potatoes Gulab Jamun:
- In a large mixing bowl add mash Sweet Potatoes.
- Add Milk Powder and Rajgira Flour (Amaranth Flour).
- Mix well by making sure everything is combined well.
- If required add some milk and knead to a soft smooth dough.
- Add some clarified butter and combined well. Keep the dough aside for 10 mins.
- Grease both hands with some Clarified butter (Ghee).
- Now take a small portion of the dough and make small balls without cracks and set these balls aside.
- Heat oil for deep frying, drop Sweet Potatoes Gulab Jamuns in hot oil and fry on a medium flame till golden brown.
- Stir continuously by making sure that the Jamun gets cooked from all sides.
- Then drain over kitchen paper to absorb extra oil.
- Now transfer the fried Sweet Potatoes Gujab Jamun into the prepared sugar syrup. (make sure the syrup is hot, else heat it up)
- Cover it and rest for 30 mins or till the Jamun absorb sugar syrup well.
- Remove the jamuns carefully into a bowl and chill. Serve cold.
- Mashing the sweet potatoes is the main step; you can blend it in a blender or grate it using a fine grater.
- You can add All Purpose Flour (maida) on non fasting days.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share