Dal Khichdi is a tasty and healthy main course rice recipe where moong dal (green grams) is pressured cooked with rice and then flavored with garlic, cumin seeds and red chilli. Say no to your regular, boring Khichdi and try this restaurant style Dal Khichdi at home. This recipe is a go-to dish when you are not in a mood to cook fancy.
Dal khichadi is simple and easy recipe one pot meal. You can serve this just with lots ghee, pickle and papad.
Here I am sharing with you all restaurant Style Dal Khichdi recipe, this recipe can be prepared with basic ingredients. Do try this recipe at home 😊
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Serve: 4 people
Type: Main Course
For Dal Khichdi:
- 1 cup Moong dal (split and husked green gram)
- 1 cup rice (any rice, regular short or medium grained rice or basmati)
- 2 Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes ( finely chopped)
- 10-12 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger (grated)
- 2 Green chilies (chopped)
- 8-9 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red chili powder
- 2 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- 7-8 cups water (or as required)
- 2 tbsp oil / ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves
- 2 tbsp oil / ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1-2 Dry Red chilies
- Rinse and wash moong dal and rice together.
- Soak them for 30 minutes in water.
How to make Khichdi:
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee / oil in pressure cooker.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- After spluttering mustard seeds and cumin seeds add ginger-garlic. Saute well.
- Add onion and saute well till translucent.
- Now add green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute well.
- Add tomatoes and saute till softens.
- Now add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and saute well.
- Drain the rice and moong dal and add them to the pressure cooker.
- Stir for a minute. Add water and coriander leaves.
- Close the lid tightly and cook it on a medium flame for 5-6 whistles.
- The consistency of khichdi can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. Once it is cooked then tops it with oil / ghee tadka.
- Heat oil for tadka.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, coriander leaves, dry red chilli and asafoetida.
- When they are done, pour over the Dal Khichdi
Restaurant style Dal Khichdi is ready to serve. Enjoy!!!
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.