Masale Bhaat recipe in Marathi cuisine is a popular Maharashtrian recipe with the mixture of spices like goda masala and vegetables. It can be generally served as an one pot meal or complete meal without any side dish to it in lunch or dinner.
This recipe can be prepared on festivals or for guest (especially when they are in more number). Mostly in Maharashtrian weddings Masale Bhaat has its fixed position in the wedding menu. Due to the spices, Masale Bhaat has its own unique aroma and taste, because of which people are more attracted towards this dish. The different vegetables used in Masale Bhaat not only increase its taste but also increase its nutritional value.
While sharing this recipe I travelled to my childhood days when me and family use to go for Marathi wedding ceremonies. Post all the rituals people use to sit in a line for food to be served on banana leaf. This was the time where I use to enjoy Masale Bhaat the most! Today I am very excited to share a recipe from my childhood diaries with all.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Serve: 4 People
Type: Main Course/ Rice
For Goda Masala:
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 Dry Mace (Jaypatri)/ Red Javitri Spice
- 1 star anise( Star Phool)
- 1 black cardamom
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick (Dalchini)
- Dagad Phool (Kalpasi)
- 1 tsp Black Cumin (Shah Jeera)
For Masale Bhaat:
- 2 cup basmati rice, soaked for 20 mins
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee) or Oil
- 1 tsp Black Cumin seeds (shah jeera)
- 4-6 Black Pepper
- 2-3 Cloves
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic crushed
- 2 green chilli, slit
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- pinch of asafoetida (hing )
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 10-15 cashew nuts ( kaju)
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 potato, cubed
- 4 cups hot water, adjust accordingly
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup boiled green peas
Method of Preparation:
Goda Masala Preparation:
- Take a blender.
- Add 2 tbsp coriander seeds,1 Dry Mace (Jaypatri)/ Red Javitri Spice, 1 star anise (Star Phool), 1 black cardamom, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick (Dalchini), Dagad Phool and 1 tsp Black Cumin (Shah Jeera)
- Now blend to coarse powder and keep the prepared masala aside.
Masale Bhaat Preparation:
- Heat a Vessel or Kadhai.
- Add 2 tbsp ghee or oil.
- Now add 1 tsp Black Cumin seeds(shah jeera), 4-6 Black Pepper, 2-3 Cloves, 1 bay leaf( tej patta) and 1 tsp ginger-garlic crushed. Saute it well.
- After that add slit green chillies and onion. Saute it well.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and pinch of hing (asafoetida).
- Further add 1 finely chopped tomato and saute well.
- Add 1 cup cauliflower, 1/2 cup chopped carrot and 1 potato. Mix it and saute well.
- Now add rice and mix it well.
- Then add 4 cup hot water, prepared goda masala and salt. Stir it well and let it cook for 20 mins.
- After that add 1 cup boiled green peas, 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut, finely chopped coriander and 10-15 cashew nuts (kaju).
- Pour ghee on it.
- Now serve Masale Bhaat with Buttermilk.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.