Patvadi Rassa is a Maharashtrian recipe. Rassa means red spicy gravy. This is a monsoon special recipe. Its taste get enhance when consumed with Bhakari or Poli (Chapati). This typical Marathi recipe has different versions in different parts of Maharashtra by having little variation in Rassa.
As Monsoon Season is approaching I am very excited to share Nagpur style spicy Patvadi Rassa which is very near to my heart.
Try this Vidarbha style Patvadi Rassa at your home.
Preparation Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time: 30 mins.
Serve: 4 People
Type: Main Course
|For Patvadi||For Patvadi Rassa|
|2 tbsp oil||5 tbsp oil in total|
|1 tsp mustard seeds||1 tsp mustard-cumin seeds|
|1 tsp cumin seeds||5-6 garlic cloves, 1/2 inch ginger,|
|pinch of asafoetida||1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tbsp white sesame seeds|
|ginger-garlic-green chilli-curry leaves paste||1 tsp poppy seeds, 2 cardamom, 1 bay leaf|
|1/4 tsp turmeric powder||4-5 black pepper seeds, 1 cinnamon stick|
|1 cup water||1 chopped Onion , 2 tbsp grated dry coconut|
|salt to taste||3/4th tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp red chilli powder|
|1 cup Besan / Chick pea flour||1 tsp garam masala coriander leaves|
|coriander leaves||salt to taste and water as required|
How to make Patvadi:
1.In a mortar, add 3-4 garlic cloves, 2 green chillies, 1/2 inch ginger and 7-8 curry leaves. Pound with the pestle to form a coarse paste and keep aside.
2. In a bowl add one cup of chickpea flour / Besan. Add one cup of water and mix well. Make sure that there are no lumps of Besan.
3. Heat a pan. Add 2 tbsp of oil. 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, pinch of asafoetida, ginger garlic chilli curry leaves mixture, ½ tsp of turmeric powder and salt to taste. Saute it.
4. Add Besan batter and keep it on low flame. Add some water and mix it well. Now add fresh coriander leaves and cover it with lid.
5. Let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add little water again and cook them for few minutes. Switch off the flame.
6. Now grease dish or wooden board with oil. Transfer and spread cook Besan on it. Spread evenly to form a square spread some grated dry coconut press lightly. Let them cool down.
To make Red Spicy Gravy or Rassa:
1. Heat the pan. Add 2 tbsp oil.
2. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 bay leaf, 6-7 garlic cloves, 1/2 inch Ginger, 4-5 black pepper, 2 cardamoms and 1 Cinnamon stick. Saute well.
3. Add 1 roughly chopped onion, cook it well till golden brown , add 2 tbsp of dry grated coconut and 1 tsp poppy seeds. Saute for a minute. Switch off the flame and let them cool down.
4. Till then cut the Patvadi into pieces square or diamonds and keep aside.
5. To make curry, transfer masala into blender; add fresh coriander and little water. Blend it into thick and smooth paste.
6. Heat a pan, add 3 tbsp oil and add masala paste and fry for few minutes. Now add 1 tbsp garam masala, 3/4 of turmeric powder, 2 tbsp red chilli powder and mix it well. Cover it with lid and cook till it separates oil.
7. Now add water as required. For Patvadi we need slightly thin consistency add salt for taste and let them cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
8. After that add some fresh coriander, your Rassa is ready. Let’s serve it.
Dip Patvadi in the Rassa just before to serve.
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.